Communications and Campaigns Officer
- WaterAid Zambia INGO
- 2 months ago
Communications and Campaigns Officer
Grade: D Department: Policy, Campaigns and Communication
Reports To: Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication Location: Lusaka
Key Relationships (titles):
Regional Advocacy network
Regional Communications network
Communication Team in the UK
WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation – by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030.
The purpose of this job is threefold:
- Enhance visibility of the Zambia Country Programme and the work delivered in conjunction with partners as well as issues related to sustainable access to WASH through targeted media and communication efforts
- Support delivery advocacy campaigns
- Spearhead supporter mobilisation to enhance community engagement and support for WAZ campaigns
- In collaboration with Communication Team in the UK, and the Regional Team in South Africa, develop and maintain a systematic updates on Zambia including but not limited to the Source, Yammer, WaterAid website and other digital, social and other communication platforms/media on a regular basis
- Support Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication to identify key sector issues which WaterAid and its partners should focus their advocacy efforts
- Develop and implement integrated campaigns and influencing projects within country strategy and Global initiatives, working with CSOs and other stakeholders
- Participate in the design of programme activities to influence government (national, district level) policy and legislation, budgets, co-ordination mechanisms and innovative delivery approaches to strengthen WASH services and increase WASH access
- Manage campaign and communication budget and report and explain variances
Communications and Media
- In conjunction with the Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication, develop and implement a communications strategy to support the overall CP strategy
- Organise awareness raising activities, especially during commemoration events and traditional ceremonies and develop innovative ways and approaches of disseminating messages to community members, the general public and Government.
- Ensure that campaigns are adequately covered by a strong communications and media campaign
- Ensure staff and partners comply with WaterAid communication guidelines for dealing with documents, media and other communication tools intended for widespread distribution by WaterAid Zambia team
- Undertake periodic visits to the field, with the press and produce written reports on visits
- Promote and organise media (radio, internet and television) programmes for WAZ and partners.
- Network with public and private media institutions and individual journalists in print and electronic media to ensure that the work of WAZ is visible.
- Maintain a consistent social media presence of WaterAid to ensure the target audiences can access information from and about WaterAid in a timely reliable and consistent manner
Publications (written, audio and visual) and documentation
- Collect, collate, edit, publish and distribute relevant WAZ documentation used for branding, awareness and information
- Facilitate staff and partners’ contribution to various WA publications
- Participate in the production of documentaries, photo and video shoots showcasing work in the project areas
- Prepare and edit articles for inclusion in sector newsletters, international publications and WA internal/external websites
- Manage, maintain and regularly update the Zambia site on the internal WaterAid website and provide input to update the Zambia section on the external website
- Report quarterly on the progress of project work and the issues arising from that work and Contribute to the six monthly and annual reports
- Produce and manage high quality print materials such as posters, brochures, and the WAZ newsletter.
- Provide support to WAZ team on document formatting and management of photographic and video footage
- Manage and maintain an indexed catalogue of soft and hard copy WAZ reports and documents in retrievable formatting.
- Contribute to the six monthly and annual reports and report quarterly on the progress of project work and the issues arising from that work
- Ensure that advocacy information is updated on all relevant WA platforms e.g. Project Centre
The role will require frequent travel in-country.
Experience and Technical Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations or Diploma in Journalism (with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in similar role in a non-profit communication environment).
- Proven experience of using participatory approaches in implementing activities. Experience of using participatory approaches in the WASH sector will be an added advantage
- Good understanding of Human Rights Principles
- Strong established media network
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated effective influencing and networking skills across all levels
- Experience using digital media – use of social media platforms
- Expert skills in Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience in using publication related software
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated effective influencing and networking skills across all levels
- Ability to work across all levels (from communities to media)
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
Our people promise
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
This is our pledge to you.
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children.