- Common Wellbeing
- 5 months ago
Programs Director at Common Wellbeing
Job Title: Programs Director
Company: Common Wellbeing
Location: Zambia (Local candidates only)
Job Type: Full-time
Common Wellbeing, a recently established local Zambian NGO, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Programs Director to join our team. We are dedicated to improving the wellbeing of vulnerable rural communities through community health and sustainable development initiatives. As the Programs Director, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing our projects, grantmaking, and research departments, with a strong emphasis on program management and implementation. This is an exciting opportunity to join us in shaping our organization, as we are in our start-up phase. You will have the chance to contribute to the strategic direction of Common Wellbeing, build a high-performing team, establish effective policies and procedures, and foster a positive organizational culture. We are looking for an individual with a demonstrated heart for mission and a proven track record in program management and implementation, someone who can ensure the successful delivery of our programs while driving impact. Join us and be part of our journey to make a lasting difference in the lives of vulnerable communities in Zambia and beyond.
About Common Wellbeing:
Common Wellbeing is a local Zambian NGO focused on improving wellbeing in vulnerable rural communities through community health and sustainable development initiatives. We design and implement projects, provide grants, and generate learnings and research to share openly with others, all with the goal of improving the wellbeing of communities in Zambia and beyond.
To learn more about us, visit:
Program Management and Implementation:
- Oversee the effective planning, execution, and monitoring of programs (projects, grantmaking, learning), ensuring adherence to project goals, timelines, and budgets.
- Provide leadership and guidance to program managers and coordinators, ensuring smooth program implementation and delivery of high-quality services.
- Ensure efficient resource allocation, risk management, and problem-solving to address challenges during program implementation.
Team Management and Capacity Building:
- Lead, support, and help recruit the programs team, fostering a culture of collaboration, accountability, and professional growth.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to program managers and coordinators, promoting their development and success.
- Facilitate training and capacity-building initiatives to enhance the skills and expertise of the programs team.
Stakeholder Engagement and Collaboration:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including government agencies, partner organizations, community leaders, and donors.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify needs, priorities, and opportunities for program collaboration and synergy.
- Represent Common Wellbeing in meetings, conferences, and forums, advocating for the organization’s mission and building strategic partnerships.
Program Planning and Design:
- Drive strategic program planning in collaboration with the Executive Director and stakeholders, identifying community needs and designing evidence-based interventions.
- Conduct research and analysis to inform program design, incorporating best practices and considering the unique context of vulnerable rural communities.
- Ensure programs align with Common Wellbeing’s mission, vision, and values while addressing community aspirations.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and other senior leaders to develop the organization’s strategic vision, goals, and objectives, ensuring alignment with Common Wellbeing’s mission.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction to the programs departments, ensuring the integration of best practices and innovative approaches.
- Lead the identification of new program opportunities, partnerships, and funding sources to expand Common Wellbeing’s impact and reach.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., international development, public health, social sciences).
- Proven track record of successful program management and project implementation, within the NGO sector, with at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage and build relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a diverse team.
- Solid understanding of project management principles, including planning, budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities, with a keen eye for detail and a results-oriented approach.
- Knowledge of health and sustainable development issues, particularly in rural contexts.
- Familiarity with the Zambian context and the challenges faced by vulnerable communities.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to use data for decision-making and program improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of local languages is a plus.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Experience in remote and rural environments, demonstrating adaptability and resilience in extended stays at project sites (up to two weeks)
- Experience in the following, a plus: grants administration, research design and methodology, grant writing.
To apply for the Programs Director position at Common Wellbeing, please email your cover letter and CV/resume to . Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further evaluation and interviews.
Get FREE Job Alerts