Mining Engineer – Production First Quantum Minerals Ltd
- First Quantum Minerals Ltd
- 5 months ago
Vacancy title: Mining Engineer – Production[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Mining , Category: Science & Engineering ]
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals Ltd
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, July 19 2023
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 07 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the Role:
This role entails control and management of contractor mining activities that are critical to the nickel production. The Production Engineer shall also highlight deviations from the mine plans and hold respective personnel accountable.
As part of the compliance to the plan, the Production Engineer shall ensure that mining and ore haulage to the crusher targets are met and appropriate personnel are notified if there is a risk of not attaining the planned targets. The role supports Mining Contractors, Enterprise technical and operations and Process Plant.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The incumbent will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
• Develop detailed mining projects designs, schedules and monitor execution of the works. Mining project such as; haul roads, ramps, construction pads, embankments, drainages and silt traps are some of the key areas of focus.
• Liaising with the geology team to ensure consistency and adequacy of ore feed to the crushers for the shift/day.
• When changes occur, either to a crusher(s) or feed source(s), the Production Engineer shall make immediate changes necessary to alleviate/mitigate such change(s) to ensure efficient delivery of material to ROM.
• Coordinate with Plant and ROM Pad personnel in order to incorporate crusher maintenance schedule and digger availabilities in the daily mine plan.
• Assist the Mining Superintendent and mining contractors’ operations team, in identifying and highlighting non-compliance to mine plans and/or planned feed grade deviations where feasible.
• Ensure diggers are mining in locations in accordance to the mine plan and are trucked up appropriately; systematically highlight any deviations to the plan.
• Ensure quality controls are enforced in both drilling, blasting and load, haul, dump operations in addition to safety.
• Coordinate issue resolution within the shift among Process Plant, Production, Planning, Survey teams at the soonest acceptable timeframes.
• Validate mining locations for contractors before they commence mining operations with communication to dispatch on any remediation plan.
• Assess, propose and implement through the contractor’s improvements in the Mining operations leading to better safety, quality and performance of production.
• Any other task as requested by the Mining Superintendent or Mine Operations Manager.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Full grade 12 Certificate.
• B.Sc. in Mining Engineering.
• Valid driver’s licence essential.
• Valid Zambian Blasting Licence.
• Five (5) years’ experience in open pit Mining.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong Communication Skills: The incumbent will need to liaise with various internal teams and external contractors. Clear, effective communication is essential to ensure all parties understand the plans, changes, and any deviations from the plan.
• Proactive Problem-Solving: Given the nature of mining projects, unexpected issues are likely to occur. The ability to think on one's feet, assess situations quickly and accurately, and develop effective solutions is crucial.
• Detail-oriented: Given the nature of the job, paying attention to details is crucial. Mistakes in mining project designs, schedules, and execution could lead to costly and potentially dangerous errors.
• Leadership: The incumbent will be tasked with coordinating multiple teams and contractors and resolving issues. This role requires a strong leader who can motivate, guide, and influence others.
• Resilience: Mining operations often encounter unexpected challenges and setbacks. The ability to remain resilient, composed, and positive in the face of adversity is essential.
• Adaptability: Changes may often occur in this role, whether related to crusher or feed sources, personnel, or other factors. The incumbent should be adaptable and able to quickly respond to such changes.
• Safety Consciousness: Adherence to health, safety, environment and quality regulations is of utmost importance in this role. The incumbent should have a proactive approach to identifying and mitigating potential safety hazards.
• Analytical Skills: The incumbent would be required to analyse mining locations, operations and processes, and implement improvements. A good understanding of analytical tools and methodologies would be beneficial.
• Time Management: This role involves coordinating different tasks and managing the overall project timeline. Being able to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively is crucial.
• Teamwork Orientation: The incumbent would need to work closely with multiple teams and external contractors. The ability to work effectively as part of a team, foster a positive team environment, and build strong relationships is important.
• Integrity: Given the incumbent's involvement in upholding company policies and legal regulations, a high degree of honesty and integrity is necessary.
• Able to meet targets and deadlines.
• Ability to effectively plan in advance.
• Must be methodical and plan in advance.
• Must be meticulous observer.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Must be an excellent team player.
• Willingness to undertake shift work (essential).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Get FREE Job Alerts
Vacancy title: Supervisor, Instrumentation [ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Enginee